[WikiEN-l] Anthere - "take decisions yourselves" - yes please!

doc doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 11 22:08:23 UTC 2008

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia%3AAdministrators%27_noticeboard&diff=183698882&oldid=183693933

Unfortunately Anthere's "you guys govern yourself - the dev is a good
guy" post misses the point.

*If* we are to govern ourselves, then *we* need to define what is and is
not sufficient mandate for policy changes in our community. Most sane
people would agree that a 66% support rate on a dubious and confused
eight day poll performed when half the community was on holiday is
simply not our method of deciding stuff like this.

But the developer took it on himself to decide what was an was not
consensus in our community - and accepted the advice of the rather
determined promoter of the policy. It is not possible for this community
to govern itself while outsiders make such decisions and yet all outside
bodies refuse to hear any appeal against them.

Now, as I say, this fikning policy (admin right to grant) is now a done
deal. But what we need now is to make sure this can never happen again.
My response to Anthere's patronising call "go on take decisions
yourselves. Running the project is your job" is: "yes please, now will
you please let us in future?"

Doc