[WikiEN-l] A six-day roll-back poll?

Sam Blacketer sam.blacketer at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 10 23:50:32 UTC 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 10:41 PM, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2008 11:39 AM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Arbcom have no authority over the devs. Which is perhaps fortunate.
> > Can you imagine having an arbcom case over the recent changes to the
> > way certain elements of template code worked?
>
> Arbcom could, though, be argued to have authority over people taking
> questionable claims of en.wp consensus to the developers to support a
> change. <http://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikien-l>

Yes, that would be the limit of it as far as I am concerned. I think I said
in my statement that the purpose of arbitrators is to interpret policy, not
to make it, and it would be very bad for the community if arbitrators took
up the role of determining major policy changes.

Jimbo can and does step in, as he did with Wikipedia:Attribution, when that
policy change became problematic.

--
Sam Blacketer