[WikiEN-l] So, has the need for consensus in wikipedia been eliminated?

doc doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 10 16:44:08 UTC 2008

David Gerard wrote:

> Historically, Wikipedia's gotten everything it has and everything it
> is from being as painfully open as possible and only closing off as
> and when it proves necessary. (This is why cutting off anon page
> creation upset so many people.)
>
> So: open rollback to autoconfirmed, then lock down only if necessary.
>

> - d.

Absolutely.

Vandals will vandalise with or without it - we simply block them

Edit warriors will edit war with or without it.

The only thing the admin power to grant gives us is a thing to debate
and cause drama. Process is evolving already, I've just been bitch
slapped for granting the rights without filling in and archiving the
right forms and we are only 24 hours in. And already people are counting
edits and saying "too many of your edits are to your own userspace" -
it's RfA all over again, all for a pointless bauble.

For the record, I will enable rollback to any user (exempting obvious
trolls) on reasonable request - they abuse it, we turn it off.

Gah!