[WikiEN-l] So, has the need for consensus in wikipedia been eliminated?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 16:24:32 UTC 2008

On 10/01/2008, Majorly <axel9891 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> You are over-exaggerating my comments. Do you really expect a four day old
> account to know how to use rollback appropriately? I certainly don't, and I
> think having a scarred block log for messing up with a rather powerful tool
> that until the other day only admins could have is a little unfair to the
> user.
> If we followed his idea where everyone got rollback, that would be the
> situation. I didn't say that they couldn't edit, nor did his idea say that
> they could. This is about *rollback*, not general right to edit. And undo is
> not rollback.

Historically, Wikipedia's gotten everything it has and everything it
is from being as painfully open as possible and only closing off as
and when it proves necessary. (This is why cutting off anon page
creation upset so many people.)

So: open rollback to autoconfirmed, then lock down only if necessary.

- d.