[WikiEN-l] A six-day roll-back poll?

Ned Scott ned at nedscott.com
Wed Jan 9 19:43:35 UTC 2008

I strongly urge everyone to check out a new proposal for regarding the
roll-back feature

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Non-administrator_rollback#Scripts_and_other_tools

"proposal originally made by Gracenotes

"Nearly everyone here has no objection to tools like Twinkle being
broadly used, but many have objections to adding the [rollback] button
to the user interface. So give autoconfirmed users the technical
ability to rollback, an action which requires a unique token, but do
not include the rollback button on diff, history, or user contribution
pages (i.e., do not include it at all). In this case, rollback can
only be accessed with a third-party tool like Twinkle, which everyone
seems to agree is fine. The I/O speed and bandwidth issues are solved,
and since custom summaries are possible with the rollback permission,
there is no loss in the functionality of Twinkle (or other anti-
vandalism tools)."

-- Ned Scott