[WikiEN-l] Blocking of School IPs

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 06:43:08 UTC 2008

On 1/9/08, Rjd0060 - <rjd0060.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> That isn't a good idea at all (sorry) and it goes against guidelines set in
> the Blocking Policy, as well as the basic principles of Wikipedia.  As Gary
> Kirk said, there are some constructive edits in there, but I'll admit it is
> sometimes difficult to find them.

Not to mention "Wikipedia says no to high school students" just sounds
bad. IMHO we should be putting more effort into brilliant vandalism
detection and rollback, to reduce the need for blocking down to an
absolute minimum. In our ideal Wikipedia, we wouldn't even block known
vandals, because we'd trust our mechanisms to effortlessly detect and
roll back all their vandalism.

Steve