[WikiEN-l] A six-day roll-back poll?

doc doc.wikipedia at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 4 21:36:24 UTC 2008

I can see why individual users want this, and I can see how it makes
their lives a little easier, but I am less convinced of the benefit to
the project.

Is there a backlog of identified yet unreverted vandalism needing rolled
back? On the contrary, we've edit conflicts of users trying to revert
half if it, and the bots usually win.

Now, I guess we can say that there may be marginal benefit in granting
it - if it encourages the vandalfighters (do they need encouraging?)
fair enough...but....

1) The wastes of time in creating a new "request process"

2) It will lead to at least some disputes, ANI traffic, wheel wars and
arbitrations. If I think user x should get it, and you don't....so?

3) If user y thinks I removed it unjustly, where do they appeal?
[[Wikipedia:Requests for rollback review]] - I predict, not in jest.

4) It occupies developers' time: have they not more pressing problems to
solve?

5) Instruction creep. Endless discussion over adjustments.

6) Abuse of the tool - and the drama that creates

So, on a cost/benefit analysis, this makes very little sense to me.

Doc