[WikiEN-l] Legal obligation to report Wikipedia editorunder UCMJ (Mike G weigh in?)

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 02:37:43 UTC 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 6:06 PM, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would say that his opinion of what constitutes a legal threat should
> bear some significant weight even if, as you say, its outside his area
> of responsibility as counsel (which is not for you or I to determine,
> but the Board in consultation with Mike).

I disagree; Mike defines what a legal *issue* is (in terms of, how
credible a threat is, or whether a complaint or claim filed has merit
legally), but NLT is an on-wiki behavior policy, not a legal policy.

I could make a legal threat by posting on ANI: "I'm suing NewYorkBrad
and the Wikimedia Foundation and everyone who posted to ANI today for
negligence for Brad's admitting to wearing a blue tie today in
violation of Red Tie Day, as clearly announced April 1 last year on my
talk page!".

That is not a credible legal threat.  But it violates NLT.

(please don't kill me, Brad!  8-)

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com