[WikiEN-l] Legal obligation to report Wikipedia editor under UCMJ (Mike G weigh in?)

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 18:49:13 UTC 2008

On 02/01/2008, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Orangemarlin#Contacting_people.27s_employers_in_real_life
>
> This is an interesting thread (one of a few on this subject, including
> in the Jimsch62 (sp) RfAr) - two editors who are in the military/work
> for the US government claim that it is their legal responsibility to
> report to the USAF the use of a military PC to edit Wikipedia because
> that is a violation of the UCMJ. I'm curious about whether that is
> true, and if it is why we don't block .mil IPs from editing en masse.

Obviously WikiMedia Foundation has no legal obligation to enforce
these chaps' interpretation of the UCMJ.  Also I'm pretty sure that
there is nothing in the UCMJ blankly prohibiting the entire military
from placing material on the internet, so blocking all .mil IP numbers
isn't necessary.

Military organisations can make their own arrangements for internet
access and we don't need to act as if they didn't have system
administrators and whatnot.

If a Wikipedian sees his legal responsibilities as coming into
conflict with Wikipedia policies, he can always refrain from editing,
which will remove the conflict.