[WikiEN-l] Legal obligation to report Wikipedia editor under UCMJ (Mike G weigh in?)

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 18:29:36 UTC 2008

On 02/01/2008, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Orangemarlin#Contacting_people.27s_employers_in_real_life
>
> This is an interesting thread (one of a few on this subject, including
> in the Jimsch62 (sp) RfAr) - two editors who are in the military/work
> for the US government claim that it is their legal responsibility to
> report to the USAF the use of a military PC to edit Wikipedia because
> that is a violation of the UCMJ. I'm curious about whether that is
> true, and if it is why we don't block .mil IPs from editing en masse.
>
> Mike Godwin, do you have an opinion on this issue?

If the US military don't want their personnel editing Wikipedia, it's
their job to block it, now our job to block them. If they want us to
block them, they can contact the OTRS people and I imagine the request
would be honoured, though. Unless we're contacted by the appropriate
people, I don't see why we should do anything. The legal
responsibilities of US military personnel are not our concern - if
they have to report people, they should do so, but it's nothing to do
with anyone else.