[WikiEN-l] Community

michael west michawest at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 16:27:28 UTC 2008

On 01/01/2008, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> When considering or referring to "The Wikipedia Community", many, if not
> most, thoughts run in the practical direction of the concept of Community
> (voting & other decision-making areas). Mine runs in a more intangible
> one:
> Anyone who contributes in a positive way to advance the values and goals
> of
> the Project.
>
> Until recently, when I spoke of "The Wikipedia Community", I had been
> thinking specifically of the body of persons who actually edit the
> encyclopedia. And my goals have been to want this Community of persons to
> be
> regarded with dignity, respect and trust: For them to have a reasonable
> voice in the workings of the Project's administration and decision-making
> processes; and for them to have some semblance of control over their own
> fates within the Project.
>
> This respect and trust must, of course, work both ways ­ We must earn it
> from each other.
>
> I'm really just brainstorming without an umbrella here:
>
> What I'm going for is more of a sense of community than a fact of
> community;
> a sense of belonging and loyalty that can be instilled and held only
> though
> the culture. It can begin by each person being honest and asking
> themselves
> what they are doing here and why.
>
> One outstanding positive effect this sense of community pride would have
> on
> the Project itself is that persons are less likely to freely abuse a group
> they truly feel they are a part of. Would you burn down your house if you
> still felt it was your home?
>
> A person who feels valued by a community is less likely to abuse or harm
> it,
> or its members, if they feel they are still a part of it.
>
> There needs to be a civility initiative in the Project that is reflected
> in
> every interaction. People need to compliment each other more, and cut each
> other some slack when they take risks and make some mistakes.
>
> Take care of the new members of the Community, and remember they are
> learning about the culture with every new encounter and interaction.
>
> Words have power - use them wisely; in the mind of an impressionable
> person
> they can be inspiring or deadly.
>
> Also, there could be something similar to a Barnstar that we place on our
> User Pages ourselves saying something like "I am a proud Member of the
> Wikipedia Community" with a design such as a globe similar to the WP
> Globe,
> but with a figure of a person at the N, S, E & W locations.
>
> I would like to see placed at the top of the Wikipedia Main Page, a banner
> that says something like, "Be honest - be fair - be assertive - be civil."

> [...]

New Greetings Marc and list.

I think most of what you have recommended are supposed "core values" of
Wikipedia already. I think the "wikilove" campaign and the welcome messages
we send to new signups is the closest we get to making people feel that they
are part of something good.

The current "triple crown" iniative where people work on improving Wikipedia
is only aimed at experienced members.

Esperanza bit the dust about a year ago as was seen to be the Hitler Youth
of Wikipedia and some editors just can't be bogged down with joining
anything on Wikipedia which does further the interests of the whole
community.

While projects on the community are a cool thing on Wikipedia and certainly
do a great deal of good, they do very little to help editors outside of
there own project.

I don't think that a pat of the back for every decent contribution is
necessary and barn stars you make me want to hurl. An editor doing well
needs to be encouraged if you see them around doing good by a quick note on
their talk page.

As for stopping people doing bad, that is a consequence of being a top
listed "google".  Unfortunately they will never get a sense that they to use
Marc's analogy "own their home" when will continue to tell that that we will
evict them without hesitation, the next time they empty garbage in the
ajoining garden.

Mike