[WikiEN-l] Violent threats and Armed Blowfish

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 23:09:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 26/02/2008, wjhonson at aol.com <wjhonson at aol.com> wrote:
>  >
>  >  If it were to be brought to trial, the victim's identity becomes part of the
>  >  trial record.  You can't have an anonymous victim.
>  >
>  > ----------
>  >
>  >  There is a reason for that.
>  >  A person accused has the right to face their accuser.
>
>  The accused does, sure. The public doesn't, necessarily.

In any jurisdiction which guarantees the right to non-secret trials,
they actually sure do. I happen to like the idea that I cannot be
tried in secret if I'm accused of a crime, and that an accuser must be
confident enough of his/her accusation to actually come forward by
name. It would be a poor society indeed that allowed people to be
imprisoned on the basis of secret accusations by anonymous people at
closed trials.

--
Freedom is the right to say that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.