[WikiEN-l] Fake it 'till you make it? Internal links that look like academic citations

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 22:22:32 UTC 2008

>  This kind of subterfuge strikes me as particularly nefarious. Certainly it is not in line with our goals to cite Wikipedia articles as if they were authoritative references? I would typically run a database query to see exactly how prevalent this practice is, but am unable to at the moment. Nonetheless, I find this single case disturbing!

Wikipedia articles shouldn't be cited at all, as far as I know. Either
you include the information in the article and cite a reliable source,
or just link to the other article for further information and the
reliable source is cited there. I hope it's not widespread - from
personal experience, I don't think it is (anecdote n. (pl. data) ;)).