[WikiEN-l] BetacommandBot, (currently) centralized discussion

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 00:12:55 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 4:07 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25/02/2008, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > What is going wrong is that in some cases images that are validly fair
> >  use, uploaded and documented as such according to the policies in
> >  force at the time of the upload, are being deleted because they are
> >  not tagged correctly according to fairly new policies.  Notification
> >  generally only takes place to the uploader, who in many cases has left
> >  the project.
> >  I feel that insufficient care is being taken in SOME cases, and that
> >  if people bring up concerns like this their issues are treated
> >  dismissively.
>

> Yes, it would be nice if the bot messages included this week's
> rationale. This would help its public relations a *lot*.
>
> However, as I noted before, the actual damage is negligible - most of
> the images are found on the Internet, and any that aren't can be
> undeleted. You're bringing this up - have you found images that needed
> recovery?

The rationale standard has been in place for a while now.  The "it's a new
rationale requirement" excuse made more sense nine months ago than now...

I agree with Matthew that the way this is being handled is cheesing a lot of
people off.  It's hard to try and address that properly in and among all the
FUD being flung around, though.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com