[WikiEN-l] It all makes so much sense now!

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 14:45:08 UTC 2008

On 24/02/2008, Chris Howie <cdhowie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 9:33 AM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On 24/02/2008, Chris Howie <cdhowie at gmail.com> wrote:

> >  > I love how Jimbo's absolute control over Wikipedia is brought up time
>  >  >  after time in the same paragraph.  Uhm, he founded the thing and
>  >  >  chairs the organization that is responsible for it.  Duh.

>  >  Chair of the Board is currently Florence Nibart-Devouard,

> That's what I get for not doing my research.  I take it he is still in
>  some pretty prominent position, though.

He's on the board, though not in any particular job. He has social and
reputational status as the founder, and a large part of his work for
Wikipedia is doing tons of press, which he does a great job at (just
as well really) - for press purposes he is Mr Wikipedia, never mind
the day to day realities.

He also has, separately from his Board role, the final smackdown on
en:wp, which he almost never uses (it's delegated to the Arbitration
Committee because Jimbo doesn't scale) and which causes great
arguments every time he does.

I find myself amazed at how outsiders think Jimbo has absolute power
at Wikipedia, when if he said the sky was blue lots of people would
disagree almost by reflex ... and then it's down to his powers of
persuasion, same as if any of us want to convince people of something.
I suppose he has a lot more ears listening to him.

- d.