[WikiEN-l] Sorted

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Sun Feb 24 07:57:02 UTC 2008

In a message dated 2/23/2008 10:12:29 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
stephen.bain at gmail.com writes:

We're representing that this artistic tradition is the primary  tradition,
when it is in reality a minority tradition.

For some  reason people seem to be forgetting our core content
policies, such as  NPOV, the minute images come into play rather  than
text.>>>

---------------------------------------
I think this mistakes the issue of the image.  I don't think anyone  has
stated that "this artistic tradition is the primary tradition".  And I  don't
think having a picture states that either.

Regardless of that quibble, even within our NPOV policy, we specify that we
do give voice to significant minority viewpoints.  So how would you address
the issue that one minority viewpoint, within Islam, is to show Muhammed in a
pictorial representation, while another, perhaps the main one, is not?
Silencing one is not the way we generally resolve these issues.

So what's your suggestion?

Will Johnson

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)