[WikiEN-l] BetacommandBot, (currently) centralized discussion

Tony Sidaway tonysidaway at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 05:42:32 UTC 2008

On 23/02/2008, WJhonson at aol.com <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:
>  The point is, that the legalistic interpretation of what is "free" under  the
>  license is so narrow that we've been blocked from posting for example images
>  off book covers, which is tendentious.

A book cover is not free unless it's specifically licensed as such by
the copyright owner.  If that's what you think of as tendentious, it's
hardly going to surprise anyone if you describe a lot of the tagging
as tendentious.  "Free" does NOT mean "we can probably get away with
using this here under fair use", it means "either the copyright on
this image has lapsed or the owner grants all people the right to use
the image in a manner compatible with our site license."