[WikiEN-l] Digg vs. Wikipedia?

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 20:51:32 UTC 2008

On 23/02/2008, Soxred93 at gmail.com <soxred93 at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://slate.com/id/2184487
>
>  Hmm...the interesting depiction of Jimbo was what caught me. At least
>  it's not all bad about Wikipedia, like most news articles are.

There's quite an interesting statistic buried in there:

"People who've made more than 10,000 edits add nearly twice as many
words to Wikipedia as they delete. By contrast, those who've made
fewer than 100 edits are the only group that deletes more words than
it adds."

This seems entirely plausible to me, but what struck me is that it
doesn't quite seem to gel with the study last year which claimed that
most contributions were from incidental users...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk