[WikiEN-l] Can we think about trying the "show" solution?

cohesion cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Sat Feb 23 05:18:00 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Raphael Wegmann <raphael at psi.co.at> wrote:
>  Thank you Andrew for your effort. Unfortunately it doesn't seem
>  like any of those zealots is willing to compromise. Appeasing
>  the no-censorship fundamentalists looks like mission impossible.

I don't believe we have to make a concession to censorship to show
that we are thinking about what we are doing. Reasonable people may
disagree. I have thought about my viewpoint at length. I think the
general population sees our decision not to censor Wikipedia not as an
indication that we haven't thought about the issue, but that we have,
and that we have come to the right conclusion. This is reflected in
general talk on the internet, and emails sent to otrs.

Calling us zealots and fundamentalists gets us no where. We might be
able to reach a compromise, but it's not going to be conceding 100% to
what the anonymous web petition wants. Maybe we could educate people
in how to hide images themselves. Most modern browsers support this.
You probably wouldn't have much opposition in a purely educational
stance.

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion