[WikiEN-l] Can we think about trying the "show" solution?

cohesion cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Fri Feb 22 21:31:15 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
>  As far as I'm aware, we've had an image of Muhammad's face in our
>  article for many years. A desire to maintain the status quo (which is
>  based upon our NPOV and no censorship policy) and to stand by our
>  policy is not "fuck 'em, free speech". If issues had been raised and
>  we had introduced the image just to get under their skin, you may be
>  right. Ultimately, if someone thinks they would be offended by an
>  image of Muhammad's face, why would they take a look at an article
>  about Muhammad on a non-Muslim website without being careful?

Exactly. Let's say this is a neutral article, and it's about a
religious figure. If that's the case we should present this religious
figure like other religious figures. They have images. If we remove
images from this article that is not neutral, because we would be
treating it differently. What possible reason would we have to remove
images from this article and not others? It's against the religion of
the people who care most about the subject to allow others to create
images of this person? It offends people who care a lot about the
subject? Or, the Hadiths say to remove it. I think most people would
agree we are not doing it because the Hadiths say so, but rather
because people don't like it.

What possible rules can we take away from that? 1) We accept that if
someone asks for something to be done based on their religion we do
it, 2) We remove things when it offends people who care about the
subject a lot, 3) We follow all primary and apocryphal religious
texts. These seem silly. This is not an anti-Muslim view, it's a
neutral one. There are a lot of things that people disagree with, some
for religious reasons. I'd feel equally as strongly if a group of
Jewish people complained about [[Tetragrammaton]].

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion