[WikiEN-l] So, why do we provide porn?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Feb 22 08:15:49 UTC 2008

The Mangoe wrote:
> Um, yeah. Just this morning I was trying to fix up something involving
> insect mouth parts, and in clicking on "Labium", I was treated to a
> full color photo of female genitalia, up close and personal. There are
> a lot of booby-trapped links like that; one wonders how many
> ordinarily innocent phrases lead to similar surprises because the
> sexual fetish community-- and therefore Wikipedia-- has co-opted the
> phrase.
The specific example could easily be fixed by making [[Labium]] the
disambiguation page, and moving the current content to something like
[[Labium (genitalia)]].  The explicit title would avoid surprises  When
did the word "labium" become anything other than an innocent scientific
term.  Referring to the entire Wikipedia community as sexual fetishists
just because of your personal dislike of explicit photographs is
unnecessarily inflammatory.

Ec