[WikiEN-l] "Censorship" of images on the Arabic Wikipedia

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 02:20:45 UTC 2008

> Censorship is the suppression or deletion of material, which may be
>  considered objectionable, harmful or sensitive
>
>  How exactly would you suggest one do this without placing barriers
>
> between people and information?

You couldn't. But conversely, merely putting barriers between people
and information doesn't make it censorship. It's when you make the
information largely or completely *inaccessible* by normal means that
it becomes censorship (and even that's probably not sufficient
condition, but it is a necessary one).

To take a trivial example, if I wrap a book up to send it through the
post, that's putting barriers between people and information, but it's
not censorship.

If I move information into a different article but leave a link to it
in the original article, then that's also not censorship. We do that
kind of thing *all* the time. It's putting a barrier between the
information and people, but it's absolutely *not* censorship.

--
-Ian Woollard

We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. If we lived in a perfectly
imperfect world things would be a lot better.