[WikiEN-l] "Censorship" of images on the Arabic Wikipedia

Aude audevivere at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 00:02:57 UTC 2008

I have made some edits on the Arabic language Wikipedia, and have been
looking at various articles and topics through the interlanguage links.  As
mentioned on the list before, the article about Muhammad on the Arabic
Wikipedia is illustrated only with calligraphy images.  On other topics (e.g.
human anatomy), I have found some examples of how they "censor" images

One way is with a "viewing warning" image, which essentially says "Some
people may consider this picture to be disturbing.  Don't click here unless
you are certain you wish to see it."  If you click on it, you see the image.

Another way I have seen is use of the show/hide feature, with the image by
default hidden.
<http://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D9%82%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A8:AnubisClick>

I have tried these out over in my sandbox space on English Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Aude/Sandbox7

Maybe an approach like one of these would serve as a compromise on the issue
of images on the [[Muhammad]] article.  I don't have lots of time to involve
myself in the issue on-wiki, but want to put these ideas out there and help
inform about how the Arabic Wikipedia does things in some situations.

-Aude