[WikiEN-l] Muhammad images Part II

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Tue Feb 19 16:54:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Nathan wrote:
> Do we modify content on Wikipedia in response to the offense taken
> by a subset of our audience?

If someone put a picture of someone shoving a gerbil up their behind on
the page for "gerbil", we'd remove it.  So yes, we do modify content in
response to (or anticipation of) offense from the audience.

Remember that hard cases make bad law.  Many of the arguments for not
removing the Mohammed pictures are needlessly absolute just because people
want to make absolutely sure the Mohammed pictures are allowed, but aren't
considering how this lack of flexibility can affect other things.