[WikiEN-l] Official proposes boycotting Wikipedia for sacrilegious act

Wily D wilydoppelganger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 12:46:08 UTC 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 12:37 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/19/08, Wily D <wilydoppelganger at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I probably should've included that
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_set_your_browser_to_not_see_images
> > this page details instructions on how not to view images, for anyone
> > who finds any image objection.  I'm unaware of any solution for those
> > who find text objectionable.
>
> I imagine you know this, but the issue is not people inadvertently
> seeing images that find offensive, but people finding the
> *publication* of certain images offensive. Images of Mohammed are not
> some religious form of spoiler. It's a different kind of issue.
>
> Steve

Err, this isn't really true.  There are a number of interrelated
things people find offensive, including both the publication of the
images and the exposure to the images (as well as a host of other
things).  While the publication of the images isn't really up for
negotiation (for instance, they'll remain on commons (where there are
currently at least 37 historic images of Muhammad)) the various levels
of exposure can be addressed more to people's satisfactions.  For
instance, someone genuinely offended by the images who nonetheless
wants to work on/read the Wikipedia article can use the solutions
offered there.

Cheers
WilyD