[WikiEN-l] Muhammad images Part II

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 05:28:26 UTC 2008

On 2/19/08, Nathan <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> question: Do we modify content on Wikipedia in response to the offense taken
> by a subset of our audience? My answer would be no. If there are other,

IMHO, yes. To do otherwise is to be pigheaded and out of touch with
society. We're a global tool for a global audience. We have to respect
audience sensitivities. When one day we have a featured picture which
is pornographic or otherwise sexual, it won't be on the front page. No
one really questions this. Why? Because it's offensive to most
*editors* not just many *readers*.

Our NPOV stance is not compromised by showing a little sensitivity to
our readership.

Steve