[WikiEN-l] Muhammad images Part II

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 00:24:20 UTC 2008

With respect, I think the background information you provide is interesting
and topical but not directly relevant. Whether and how groups of Muslims are
offended is not at issue - it is clear that some are, and that removing the
images is the way to solve their dissatisfaction. Of course there are many
ways of removing or obscuring the images - we could even have a link to a
subpage only of images and descriptions, separated from the main body of the
article. The question we have not answered is still the most important
question: Do we modify content on Wikipedia in response to the offense taken
by a subset of our audience? My answer would be no. If there are other,
editorial reasons for removing the content - fine. Even if the proposed
reason was that not having the images, or having blank images, was more
educational and provided a stronger message than the images themselves -
fine. That isn't what is proposed, however, and editorial concerns are not
the reason. Until that changes, a compromise seems unlikely.

Nathan