[WikiEN-l] Official proposes boycotting Wikipedia for sacrilegious act

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Feb 18 02:28:59 UTC 2008

WJhonson at aol.com wrote:
 > ...snipped...

In an attempt to be useful, I would like to identify the best within
your complaint, WJhonson, so that we can acknowledge it and move past it.

The argument seems to go like this:

Since one basis for the objecting to Mohammad images in Wikipedia is
based on Islamic traditions which also, in at least some cases, forbid
other imagery, we might legitimately ask ourselves whether agreeing to
do something about this case will lead to further demands to do
something about other cases.

There are a number of reasonable responses to this reasonable inquiry,
some of which most of us may find persuasive.  But of course this core
point is valid, i.e. will helping to find a compromise in this case
actually help resolve anything?

Simply repeating over and over as if nothing can be done at all without
falling into this trap does not appear to be usefully moving this
discussion forward.

--Jimbo