[WikiEN-l] A call for moderation

Raphael Wegmann wegmann at psi.co.at
Mon Feb 18 12:14:38 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 17, 2008 at 10:29:12PM -0500, Nathan wrote:
> I have some observations, but first a request: please don't post
> one-line response after one line response. Make a considered point,
> and post it.
>
> Firstly, I agree with Ansell - this is a situation which should be
> decided on principle, and the principle should be agreed upon before
> technical implementation is debated. There are a number of ways to
> obscure, hide, move, remove or display images. The question isn't "How
> is it done?" but "Should we do it?"
>
> Some have suggested that the principle here should be to accommodate,
> at least in part, the religious doctrine of a group of people. I
> strongly disagree - it seems to me like many decisions have been taken
> in the past on Wikipedia directly in contravention of this proposed
> principle, and rightly so in my opinion.
<snip/>

I'd expect a more wise response from someone called Nathan:
http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/readfile?fk_files=6198&pageno=92

> The spectre of compromise is just that - it is an illusion,
> constructed by those of us who assume that compromise with religious
> fundamentalism is possible.
<snip/>

Yeah sure, label it fundamentalism.
How about extremism, radicalism, t...?

> Finally, if you look through the archives of [[Talk:Muhammad]] and the
> FAQ there, you'll notice that practically every possible compromise
> has been considered and discarded.

Unless of course the compromise has been discarded before consideration.

> Not a single new argument has been
> made in any of the list threads about this subject - and all of these
> arguments have been considered and rejected by the editors who
> actually work on the Muhammad page.

And sometimes even rejected beforehand. One only has to read the
pink boxes to understand what is allowed in the discussion.
Change certainly isn't.

--
User:Raphael1