[WikiEN-l] A call for moderation

Mathias Schindler mathias.schindler at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 22:45:43 UTC 2008

On Feb 17, 2008 11:32 PM, Screamer <scream at datascreamer.com> wrote:

Okay, let's apply this to the historical medieval drawings of a Muslim scholar:

> 1) Does the image offend an entire culture

No, just a small but load subset.

> 2) Are there substantial or valid complaints to the editors

Loud ones, yes. Valid? Mostly only in total misrepresentation of 13
centuries of muslim culture and art, so more or less a "no".

> 3) Is there a way to compromise without censoring

Of course we can check if the iconoclastic tendencies in today's
factions of Islam are accurately described in the Wikipedia articles.
The verbosity of the descriptions of recent events in iconophobia
should end where they become self-referential to the Wikipedia
project. One could also check if the self-browser-neutering tool
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Muhammad/FAQ#How_can_I_hide_the_images_using_my_personal_Wikipedia_settings.3F)
could be mentioned more conveniently. Tagging the images for the css
hack would also allow other sites to mirror the images with other
default modes.

Mathias