[WikiEN-l] Official proposes boycotting Wikipedia for sacrilegious act

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sun Feb 17 22:32:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 21:42:34 +0100, wikien-l-request at lists.wikime
wrote:

> Eugene van der Pijll schrieb:
> > Daniel R. Tobias schreef:
> >> Islamic Republic News Agency, Iran:
> >> http://www2.irna.ir/en/news/view/menu-236/0802179464180019.htm
> >
> > Note that this is unrelated to the online petition discussed in the
> > other thread; this is about the Danish Muhammad cartoons at
> > [[Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy]], where there is no
> > question if the image is encyclopedic or not.
>
> Is that a reliable reference for adding Wikipedia's [[Jyllands-Posten
> Muhammad cartoons controversy]] to the list of [[Islamophobia]]
> incidences? They don't even write about how many Muslims have been
> blocked from editing Wikipedia, because they removed the cartoons
> from [[Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons controversy]].

I wouldn't think so, given that "Islamophobia" is an inherently POV
designation, and is Original Research when applied to a situation
where the word wasn't actually used directly in the original source.
The link is probably a reliable reference for an assertion that some
officials claiming to speak for some Muslims are still critical of
Wikipedia for the cartoon controversy issue (in addition to the
current flap over Muhammad images), but that's still a long stretch
from declaring Wikipedia to be "Islamophobic".

Incidentally, the set of Muslims who are disturbed at Wikipedia
including the cartoon images and the set of Muslims disturbed at
Wikipedia including the Muhammad images are different sets; the
Iranians apparently don't mind depictions of Muhammad (if tasteful
and respectful), since they have some such images in their own
museums.

http://harryzzz.blogspot.com/2007/08/in-teheran-unsuspected-cartoon-
of.html

--