[WikiEN-l] A call for moderation

Screamer scream at datascreamer.com
Sun Feb 17 22:32:18 UTC 2008

Eugene van der Pijll wrote:
> Screamer schreef:
>
>> Here is a thought.  Perhaps the image can be collapsed, in the same
>> manner we do our {{hat}} {{hab}} collapsible text blocks.
>>

> Question: would you do this
>
> a) for the two unveiled images of Muhammed in [[Muhammed]]
> b) for all images of Muhammed, including those in the Danish cartoons
> article
> c) for all images that offend a large number of people
>
> Just curious
>
> Eugene

/Each situation requires a thoughtful consideration./  If an *entire*
culture is offended because of deep seated cultural ideals, then perhaps
we should hat hab that image.  Especially when such offense is
registered in the sheer numbers that is was.

So,

1) Does the image offend an entire culture
2) Are there substantial or valid complaints to the editors
3) Is there a way to compromise without censoring

Addressing these three points would help us in that decision making
process, and I believe it helps us in the one article.  If further
issues of the same magnitude and of the same nature were to arise, I
don't think it would be unreasonable to apply the same compromise.
There is no slippery slope here, and there is no camel nose in the tent
here either.

./screamer