[WikiEN-l] Better than free: how to sell something that costs nothing?

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 15:55:57 UTC 2008

http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/kelly08/kelly08_index.html

Copies themselves are free. Kelly outlines eight qualities that cannot
be copied, and are therefore still marketable: trust, immediacy,
personalisation, interpretation, authenticity, accessibility,
embodiment, patronage and findability.

This is relevant to what we do - giving away good stuff and
*encouraging* copies - because (1) it gives business models for
reusers of Wikimedia content (2) things we could do to make copies
even better and more useful. Does anyone have useful ideas on these
matters?

I think immediacy and accessibility are the reasons for wikipedia.org
being the world's #9 website. A lack of warrantable reliability is
nothing compared to useful *convenience*.

- d.