[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia used in the courtroom?

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Feb 15 19:37:02 UTC 2008

In a message dated 2/15/2008 10:40:08 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
saintonge at telus.net writes:

taken to  extremes when they
expect proof for "facts" that are a part of common  knowledge.  This is
not to say that all common knowledge should go by  unchallenged, but real
challenges should be based on genuine doubt rather  than a mere absence
of documentation.>>

---------------------------------
This is already handled in-policy.  We have had long discussions about
exactly what sort of trivial deductions, observations, etc. we *can* make  without
a source.  Our NOR policy page does state that.  If it's not  clear then
perhaps it could be clarified further.

I often cite the fictitious photograph with a caption "This is a cat" in my
discussion of OR.  We don't need a source to say "The sun is hot and you
can't walk on it." it's a trivial observation and deduction.

If you're being plagued with people needing sources for "John Lennon was a
man" then you could bring the specific concern to the Talk page of the NOR
policy page.

Will Johnson

Awards. Go to AOL Music.