[WikiEN-l] Proposal: WikiData

Parker Conrad parkerconrad at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 18:44:54 UTC 2008

Hey Phil - I work for a small wiki called "Wikinvest", and we've been
working on a wiki for data for a few months now (data being especially
important for investors). We should be launching it next week, at which
point you can come check it out for yourself, but in the meantime TechCrunch
wrote about us a bit the other week and has some screenshots, here:
http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/02/06/wikinvest-to-add-unique-comp-data-for-stock-research/

There are a few important features that we thought a "wiki for data" should
have:

1) Datapoints may appear in many places on the site; anywhere updated should
mean everywhere updated
2) Standard revision control features of a wiki should apply - people can
change datapoints where they believe they have better information, those
changes are surfaced in "recent changes", data has a history page and
changes can be reverted, and we insist on sources for all data that is added
or changed.
3) This is mostly applicable to us - the browse for data is organized in
such a way that all data is associate with a company page and a metric page.
So, for example, if I was reading an article about american airlines I could
click on the "data tab" to see all the data for this company. One piece of
data would be Revenue per Available Seat Mile (an important metric in the
airline industry). If I clicked on "Revenue per Available Seat Mile" I'd be
taken to a page with that data for all companies for which it was
available...

What we're building might give you some ideas, or perhaps there's a way we
can collaborate.

/prc