[WikiEN-l] Foundation audit

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 19:20:36 UTC 2008

It isn't "misleading" - financial statements roll up from detailed
records, and sometimes the rolled up lines include types of
information that aren't closely related. Feel free to dissect the
audit records, that is why they are released. The same goes for all
financial statements. Don't stray too far in criticizing the volunteer
Board personally, though.

There has obviously been a lot of upheaval, but just in the last few
months (weeks, even) the degree of professional management has been
raised significantly. Rather than focusing on criticizing past
practices (aside from scrutinizing the audit for anything obviously
wrong, which you can do but I imagine it was done before it was
released) a better idea may be to take a "wait and see" approach to
coming financial and management results.

I would say, though, that Board responses to inquiries should be
handled as a group rather than individually. Additionally, questions
about the management (including financial reports approved by the
Board, internal audit reports and external reports done at the
direction of the Board) should perhaps be responded to by management.
Criticism of practices and results (or even questions about reports)
shouldn't be taken necessarily as an attack, and responses that sound
defensive can be problematic.

Nathan