[WikiEN-l] Foundation audit

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 11:46:06 UTC 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 9:57 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > * travel costs include scholarships of wikipedians to go to Wikimania.
> > This is not really a cost since we got restricted donations from
> > sponsors to precisely cover that cost
>
> In that case, shouldn't it be noted separately on the financial
> reports? It's rather misleading having something that was paid for by
> someone else grouped in with something that was paid for from general
> foundation funds.

Since the Foundation runs on donations, everything is paid for by
someone else if you want to think about it like that.

On Feb 11, 2008 8:57 PM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Even today, most of the activity of the Foundation is about running the
> website. But to get a 24/24, 7/7 website running, you need tech staff.
> Once you get bills to pay (high amount and numerous), you need an
> accountant. Once you get people calling the office once every 5 minutes,
> you need an office manager. Once you get invited to visit the tribunal
> from time to time, you need lawyers etc...
> And once you need more money to get in, you need staff to make the money
> get in.

I suspect that many of the qualms people have about the cost of
salaries is that many people aren't particularly familiar with what
all the staff do. We'd love to hear more about all the good work they
do :)

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com