[WikiEN-l] opt-out and censorship

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Thu Feb 7 01:50:24 UTC 2008

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 00:58:23 +0000, "Ian Woollard"
<ian.woollard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/02/2008, Chris Howie <cdhowie at gmail.com> wrote:
> > IMO that definition of racism is way too broad.
>
> When I first heard the definition, I thought it was rather strange,
> but after thinking through the implications, it seems that it does
> indeed work rather well, even for racism where people try to hide the
> fact that they are being racist; or for when people are being
> unintentionally racist.

That's presupposing that the aim of the law should be to suppress
everything that anybody might regard as racist, even if entirely
unintentional.

> > This is, for example,
> > not racism (or "religionism") at all.  What we are dealing with is a
> > fundamental incompatibility between the goals of our project and the
> > beliefs of a particular religious group.
>
> So you say, but then you suggest remedies that would disadvantage minorities.

That's presupposing that "not disadvantaging minorities" is a
consideration that trumps everything else, including things that some
others might regard as of greater importance such as free speech and
free inquiry.

--
== Dan ==