[WikiEN-l] Defeat: Notability is Policy

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Wed Feb 6 12:54:45 UTC 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 3:09 PM,  <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 2/4/2008 10:46:18 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> wilydoppelganger at gmail.com writes:
>
> In the  end, what's wrong with an article that contains the sum total
> of human  knowledge on a subject, even if it's short, as long as it's
> verifiable and  on a subject matter suitable for an  encyclopaedia?>>
>

> ---------------------------
> Shouldn't similar stubs be rolled together into one list?
> So instead of Galaxy XG-123AB or whatever we'd just have an article on
> "Galaxy's called XG something"...
>
> Will Johnson

No, it absolutely shouldn't.  How that particular meme came about, I'm
not sure, but it makes absolutely no sense to do so.  Think about it,
if you typed in "Galaxy XG-123AB" and hit go would you rather end up
on a page called [[Galaxy XG-123AB]], which *links* to [[Galaxy's
called XG something]], or would you prefer to end up on a page called
[[Galaxy's called XG something]] (and possibly end up with your
browser scrolled to the middle of the page where that particular
paragraph is).

Rolling stubs together into one list makes no sense.  The only reason
it seems to be done any more is that someone saw someone else do it
and they mindlessly follow.  In addition to making reading difficult,
it makes categories not work properly, makes editing more difficult,
clutters up the history, etc.  And what is the benefit?