[WikiEN-l] opt-out and censorship (was: "I want to at least kill the responsible person.")

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 00:58:23 UTC 2008

On 05/02/2008, Chris Howie <cdhowie at gmail.com> wrote:
> IMO that definition of racism is way too broad.

When I first heard the definition, I thought it was rather strange,
but after thinking through the implications, it seems that it does
indeed work rather well, even for racism where people try to hide the
fact that they are being racist; or for when people are being
unintentionally racist.

> This is, for example,
> not racism (or "religionism") at all.  What we are dealing with is a
> fundamental incompatibility between the goals of our project and the
> beliefs of a particular religious group.

So you say, but then you suggest remedies that would disadvantage minorities.

> I could form a religion that
> hates the word "taco" -- are we gonna cater to that too?

Since you don't even want to cater for religions that take up about
20% of the worlds population, I would assume the question is entirely
moot.

OTOH you yourself are in a minority (everybody is), so it might be in
your own best interests to ensure that minorities in general are not
disadvantaged in the wikipedia and elsewhere.

How nice would it be for you to not have to accidentally see
'political correctness' in the wikipedia for example? ;-)

--
-Ian Woollard

We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. If we lived in a perfectly
imperfect world things would be a lot better.