[WikiEN-l] "I want to at least kill the responsible person."

Chris Howie cdhowie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:39:42 UTC 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 11:28 AM, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:
> (But although this sort of thing seems like an obvious and
> reasonable compromise to me, I'm not so sure we could just
> "ram one through", because plenty of people do seem to equate
> such things with unacceptable censorship.  See e.g. Chris Howie's
> comments elsethread: "We do not censor ourselves.  This includes
> opt-in/out mechanisms that are censorship bearing the form of a
> reasonable compromise.")

It would be putting into the hands of editors the power to decide what
is offensive and what is not.  This is an extremely subjective matter
and we would wind up with "Wikipedia for
Weak-stomached/easily-offended people."  Not that I have any objection
to such a thing, but if it's to happen it should be a fork.

It's time we stop apologizing for the good we are trying to do.

--
Chris Howie
http://www.chrishowie.com