[WikiEN-l] opt-out and censorship (was: "I want to at least kill the responsible person.")

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Tue Feb 5 16:37:55 UTC 2008

Chris Howie wrote:
> 2. We do not censor ourselves.  This includes opt-in/out mechanisms
> that are censorship bearing the form of a reasonable compromise.

Can you explain how an opt-out mechanism (by which I mean,
certain content can be hidden if an easily-offended reader
(a) has JavaScript enabled and (b) checks a preference or clicks
a "hide" button) is "censorship"?  We would not be controlling
what others can see; we would merely be giving them tools to allow
them to tailor what they see.

To me, such an approach *would* be a reasonable compromise, and
would not be censorship.  I'm curious to hear the arguments the
other way.