[WikiEN-l] Defeat: Notability is Policy

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Feb 3 16:31:40 UTC 2008

On Feb 3, 2008 11:20 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > If it's verifiable, it isn't hypothetical, is it?
> > >
> > The hypothesis can be verifiable.
>
> In which case, we're talking about the notability of a hypothesis, not
> of a galaxy or an ETI. The hypothesis could have an article, but would
> a galaxy that's only claim to notability is being mentioned in this
> hypothesis warrant anything more than a redirect to the ariticle on
> the hypothesis?

I really don't see a difference between an article on a hypothesis of
a galaxy and an article on the galaxy itself.  Again, take [[Phaeton
(hypothetical planet)]].  We don't call that [[hypothesis about a
planet between Mars and Jupiter]].

> > http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/021127a.html
> >
> > We estimate there are hundreds of billions.  But only 3000 are
> > "visible".  I wonder what "visible" means, and I wonder how many are
> > "observable".
>
> I think that 3000 is how many there were in the tiny bit of sky they
> looked at. I think it's a reference to the Hubble deep field
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_deep_field). The total number of
> galaxies in the observable universe is in the billions, certainly.

My bad.  I made a poor use of terminology (I didn't really mean
"within the observable universe"), and a terribly poor estimate of
numbers anyway.  You win, I lose.