[WikiEN-l] Defeat: Notability is Policy

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Sat Feb 2 14:33:59 UTC 2008

Bryan Derksen wrote:
> ...But articles about galaxies are Scholarly, so I don't expect
> anyone's going to purge that particular pile of minutiae any time
> soon. Better to go after the stuff that actually _distinguishes_
> us from the Traditional and Scholarly encyclopedias.

This is another excellent point, that deserves widespread
forehead-emblazoning, or something.

I wonder if we could add it to WP:NOT: "Wikipedia is not a
traditional encyclopedia.  Wikipedia is not *necessarily*
formal and scholarly.  Wikipedia is not aiming to be a
drop-in replacement for the Encyclopaedia Britannica."