[WikiEN-l] Defeat: Notability is Policy

Philip Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 04:43:29 UTC 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 10:06 PM, White Cat wrote:

> I do not understand this sudden urge to raise our bar so high that
> we are
> now thinking of deleting just about a million articles or more. This
> new
> trend is counter-productive f it follows the course of mass deletion.
> Editing wikipedia supposed to be fun. It is not fun when there are
> self
> righteous notability zealots who spend their entire time finding
> excuses to
> delete articles. We ought to avoid that.

Especially since those zealots tend to target articles of the sort
that our readers seem to be most interested in. Remember the (now
very) old list of most popular articles? It was largely sex terms,
professional wrestling, video games, and fictional works. Multiple
Naruto articles made the list, in particular.

We need to think seriously about our standards of quality, and be sure
to line them up with, you know, what people seem to want. When our top
100 pages are largely porn and Pokemon, well, it becomes hard for me
to really justify slashing our porn stars and television episode
coverage on anything other than the firmest and most damning of grounds.

-Phil