[WikiEN-l] Defeat: Notability is Policy

Steve Summit scs at eskimo.com
Sat Feb 2 03:38:42 UTC 2008

Steven Walling wrote:
> ...we just simply can't include every possible topic under the sun
> and still produce an accurate and reliable encyclopedia. Space is
> not the issue, quality is. The breadth has to stop somewhere,
> so we can get to depth.

You're welcome to that opinion, but please realize that's what it
is, and it's not a majority opinion, either.

By and large, the only people who are hurt by stubby articles or
by articles on allegedly non-notable subjects are the subset of
Wikipedia editors who wring their hands over the constructed
worry that these articles make us look less "serious".

To which I say, get over it.  Our readers certainly don't care.
They can and do ignore the articles they don't care about --
they might as well not be there.  But to someone who *is* looking
for information on a certain topic, an article on it -- no matter
if it's stubby or less than exhaustively sourced -- is potentially
just as useful as our most polished featured article.