[WikiEN-l] Defeat: Notability is Policy

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 01:02:14 UTC 2008

On Feb 1, 2008 4:59 PM, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 2008 4:47 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Not remotely. Vast majority of our information is uncited.
> >
> > And that's a bag thing.
>
> I assume you meant "bad"
>
> In my opinion, yes - it would be nice to have a cite for everything.
>
> It's also a horrible mistake to, for example, run through WP articles
> and either delete everything that isn't cited, or all articles without
> RS, or both.
>
> That would remove most of the content, and would be a monumental
> flipoff to the community that builds content here.
>
> WP is a multi-dimensional tension system between content creators,
> content improvers, citation focused people, readers, policy wonks, the
> foundation...   An absolutist interpretation of notability, RS, etc
> are horrible things to consider.
>
> If you intend to blow up the project, there are more graceful ways,
> like simply deleting the whole database, or killing everyone on Earth.

I hate to follow myself up, but...

Getting consensus on a single policy page is different than getting
consensus of the community.

The policy page wonks (those here, and there) need to be aware of the
difference.

If you assault a problem that has intimate interconnections out
through the rest of the project from the narrow perspective of any
corner, the results will be disaster.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com