[WikiEN-l] Defeat: Notability is Policy

Philip Sandifer snowspinner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 00:13:33 UTC 2008

On Feb 1, 2008, at 7:04 PM, Steven Walling wrote:

> Time? Why should you be creating new stubs that are unsourced at
> all? I
> don't create an article unless I have source material available.

Good for you. When we update the site code to read "Edit this page if
you have source material avaliable" instead of "edit this page" that
will be a reasonable expectation to apply to others. The entire
project, let's note, was built on people wandering by an adding a fact
they happened to know, with the idea that mass untrained peer review
would be good enough to get a working project. Citing sources is one
of the ways we get to that point, but we have to remember: the project
is designed to be editable by anyone in a casual and volunteer manner.
We hurt ourselves if we expect everybody to have multiple sources on
hand before they edit or create an article.

-Phil