[WikiEN-l] JarlaxleArtemis/Grawp

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Dec 30 09:49:50 UTC 2008

Brian wrote:
> Marc, your argument does not address the article I posted. In fact, it
> contradicts it. You say it plays into his "turf," but as I pointed out, the
> method pits him against himself.
>
> The future of vandalism bots on Wikipedia is *certainly* machine learning
> techniques. The question is, is the community going to waste their time
> contacting the police, or figuring out what it would take to get the source
> code and some funds from the Foundation?
>
> I say it again, contacting the police and the FBI is not the solution.
> Fixing the bots is.

I can only marvel at the blind religious faith that IT people exhibit in
technical solutions to human problems.  It's as though the magic formula
that will make all the problems go away is is a form of God's creation
that is just around the corner. At least the Scientologists had the
decency to call their science a church.

Calling the cops may indeed be uncreative and heavy-handed on the
individual vandal involved, but sometimes it's the right way to go; at
least it's a tool that can be kept handy in one's kit.  (I don't know
enough about the specifics of this case to say this is the place to
apply it, and I don't want to know.)  The magic solution can be just as
heavy-handed on many who have nothing to do vandalism.

Ec