[WikiEN-l] NOR contradicts NPOV

Brock Weller brock.weller at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 08:24:27 UTC 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 6:58 AM, Carcharoth <carcharothwp at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Phil Sandifer <snowspinner at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > So basically, we have a phrase that mandates the violation of NPOV on
> > a host of articles, that was inserted without discussion, and that has
> > been controversial in every subsequent discussion. But we keep it,
> > because it's "consensus."
>
> Have you tried suggesting this change on the talk page and advertising
> the discussion at various relevant noticeboards and other project talk
> pages?
>
> Carcharoth

Have you tried just removing the ridiculous clause that creates this
'paradox'? Or, better yet, just using the source anyway? Sometimes after all
the squabbling over the years that makes it seem like a deadlocked
controversy, all it really takes is standing up and pointing out when
somethings just dumb. And doing the not dumb thing. And that makes policy.
IAR is there for a reason... not to be silly, or meta, but because
sometimes, when something keeps us from improving the encyclopedia for long
enough we get fed up with it, we have a way to just step over it (the
encyclopedia being the product of our core project values, not interplay
between clauses of policy that gets progressively more wonky every year).

There is no conflict between the policies. There's a conflict with whats
written. That is not the same thing.

-Brock